Sunday, March 13, 2011

To fear or not to fear


The topic of today’s lesson really struck a chord with me.  What role do I allow fear to play in my life?  Am I a fearful person, maneuvering through life being careful to avoid the unexpected, or am I bold?  Unfortunately, I’m guilty of the former, at least when it comes to my spiritual life.  When opportunities for sharing the gospel arise, the Enemy is there planting seeds of fear. 
 
The Enemy knows me quite well, as he has studied me over the years.  He knows I have a natural tendency for shrugging off opportunities, for fear of offending someone or making someone uncomfortable.  He whispers in my ear – “don’t say anything, you’ll embarrass him” or “why bring God or Jesus into this conversation?”  And so I let fear have another small victory.  It’s shameful.  How does an eternity spent in hell compare to a few moments of embarrassment?  

I often wonder if those people whom I choose to ignore to appease my own comfort will one day find themselves in the presence of the living God offering up my silence as their excuse for not believing.  And I wonder what I would say if that person were allowed to ask me why I choose to remain silent about THE most important thing in the world.  That I risk someone’s eternal destination for the sake of my comfort zone is shameful.  

Following God is not without pain, suffering, and a host of other worldly discomforts, but these pale in comparison to what He has promised us.  And quite honestly, we in America have it pretty good.  I don’t risk death for sharing the gospel.  I have no fear of torture or imprisonment for talking about Jesus.  Most do, and I should be ever thankful to God that I live in America, and I should ever-relish in any opportunity to share His love with others, and deny the Enemy a victory.

Pray that I can continue to stand on God’s promises and be bold in the name of my savior.  He deserves nothing less.

2 comments:

  1. In the United States, our challenge is not torture. Our challenge, and not the only one, is to be proper stewards of our nation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, we don't torture in the US. That would be too obvious, not to mention illegal. Discrimination against Christianity takes a more devious form and subtle nature.

    TV shows and movies (and the media) do a fine job of undermining Christian principles. More often, followers of Christ are regarded as fringe, and perhaps, we should be glad.

    ReplyDelete